Learning Flow Cycle
What is the Learning Flow Cycle?
There are three distinct parts to the learning flow cycle in the Ooka Island Learn-to-Read System. This unique learning flow is what makes Ooka Island so engaging for young learners and keeps them eager to play and learn on Ooka Island.
- Guided Play – focuses on phonological / phonic development through skill-building instructional activities.
- e-Reader – focuses on concept of word, fluency, vocabulary and reading comprehension through the Ooka Island Books Series (85 leveled and sequenced books in total)
- Free Play – allows children to play activities that reinforce what they have learned, to reread books from the Popcorn Library, or to do just-for-fun activities.
*Helpful Hint – Children can exit out of Ooka Island at anytime and their progress and spot in the program is saved for the next time they log in.
Click the image to enlarge or download a PDF of Ooka Island’s Activity Map!
After Guided Play, little learners enter the the Popcorn Library, which includes 85 original Ooka Island e-Books leveled and sequenced from Pre-K to 2nd grade. Fluency IV books are available only in print format.
In Free Play, children can choose where they wish to explore on Ooka Island. The Free Play session lasts for eight minutes and is counted down by a beach ball timer. Once Free Play time expires, players follow Zobot back to Guided Play and the learning cycle continues!
Need help deciding what to do in Free Play?
As players progress through the reading activities, they earn “Ooka Mist”, the island’s currency. Ooka Mist can be spent during Free Play at the Mist Mart!
What can you buy at the Mist Mart?
Clothing and Costumes: Players can dress up their avatar in a wide variety of clothing and crazy costumes, which they can then find in the big yellow wardrobe located in the Pencil Playground.
Sample of avatar costumes available in the Mist Mart!
- Pencil Playground Materials: New playground equipment, wallpaper and flooring purchases can be found already setup and ready to go in the Pencil Playground.
- Ooka Tunes Music: Ooka Island has a whole soundtrack of fun, original songs that encourages reading. Once purchased in the Mist Mart, players can find their new tunes on the giant radio in the Pencil Playground. *Also available as an app!
- Zopet: When players reach the top of Alphabet Mountain in the learning flow cycle, they unlock “Zopet”, their fun-loving Ooka pet! After this accomplishment, they can visit the Mist Mart during Free Play and buy Zopet. They can also purchase additional items for Zopet, including food and tricks. Zopet and all related items will appear after purchase by clicking on the doghouse in the Pencil Playground.
Mist Mart Helpful Hints:
- For the first few Free Play sessions, we encourage players to visit the Mist Mart before traveling to the Pencil Playground to get used to buying and then finding items.
- Since there are hundreds of items in the Mist Mart, it can take up to 20 seconds to load when a player clicks on the Mist Mart button.
- Items at the Mist Mart are only available to purchase if they have first been unlocked during the learning flow cycle.
- A padlock on an item in the Mist Mart indicates that the item has not yet been unlocked and the learning flow must continued in order to do so.
From Main Map, click on
The following features are found in the Pencil Playground:
- Playground Rides: Click on the slide, see-saw, or trampoline, and then on the pop-up check mark to ride. Ride upgrades can be purchased at the Mist Mart. Once purchased they are placed in the Pencil Playground.
- Avatar Customization: Click on the big yellow wardrobe with the star to make changes to the avatar’s appearance, clothing, accessories, and costumes. Once the player is satisfied with the changes, they click the green check mark to go back to the Pencil Playground.
- Ooka Tunes Music: Ooka Island has a whole soundtrack of fun, original songs that encourages reading. Once purchased in the Mist Mart, players can find their new Tunes on the giant radio in the Pencil Playground. *Also available as an app!
- Teddy Bear Collection: Purchase teddy bears in the Mist Mart to have them placed on the shelf in the Pencil Playground. Fifteen bears complete the collection.
- Snack Shack: Click on the Snack Shack to feed an elf a healthy Ooka snack.
- Zopet’s Dog House: When players reach the top of Alphabet Mountain, they unlock Zopet in the Mist Mart. Once Zopet has been purchased, click on the doghouse in the Pencil Playground to bring Zopet out to play. Tricks and food can also be purchased in the Mist Mart and played with in the Pencil Playground.
- Floor and Wallpaper: Change the floor and wallpaper inside the Pencil Playground by purchasing new designs at the Mist Mart. Once purchased, these items instantly change the décor of the Pencil Playground.
- Wall Paintings: Purchase paintings in the Mist Mart to have them randomly placed on the walls inside the Pencil Playground. These wacky paintings change each time the player enters!
Pencil Playground Helpful Hints:
- Each time five new books have been read by the player, a rescued Ooka Elf is placed in the Pencil Playground to play and interact with the player.
- Once inside the playground, players walk around the environment by clicking on the floor in the desired direction.
- Changing the avatar’s hair in the wardrobe is what really gives the avatar a more “boy” or “girl” appearance.
Free Choice of Unlocked Activities
During free play, players can venture out into other areas of Ooka Island such as the Trophy Room, where they can view their award charts, the Popcorn Library, where they can read unlocked books, or to any of the open activities shown below, where they can practice levels already accessed and reinforce their reading skills!
Learn even more about Free Play by watching the videos below!
Kindergarteners exploring Free Play together
Video Tutorial: The Mist Mart and Pencil Playground
Video Tutorial: The Trophy Room
Video Tutorial: The Popcorn Library
Video Tutorial: Phonemic and Phonetic Reading Activities